The network objectives of SUSTAIN are:
- creation of a multiple-entry information system on R&D related to silicon technology.
- formation of an integrated system of centers of excellence maintaining know-how and expertise and having the necessary critical mass for providing an adequate level of (re)training for the IC industry. This should lead to a pan-European "Wall-free" laboratory for IC technology and manufacturing.
- to promote a coordinated strategy for R&D in silicon technology resulting in an avoidance of duplication of R&D efforts and a maximum efficient utilisation of scarce resources.
In the proposed network, the submicron silicon device and technology issues will be addressed. Other related activity areas that will not be addressed in this network but through links with other initiatives include:
- Off-chip Interconnect Technology
- Fundamental Materials Research